On 20.03.2024 14:57, Roger Pau Monne wrote:
> There's no reason to force HVM guests to have a valid vcpu_info area when
> initializing a vCPU, as the vCPU can also be brought online using the local
> APIC, and on that path there's no requirement for vcpu_info to be setup ahead
> of the bring up.  Note an HVM vCPU can operate normally without making use of
> vcpu_info.

While I'd agree if you started with "There's no real need to force ...", I
still think there is a reason: If one wants to use paravirt interfaces (i.e.
hypercalls), they would better do so consistently. After all there's also
no need to use VCPUOP_initialise, yet you're not disabling its use.

As said in reply to Andrew's reply, besides acting as a sentinel that
structure instance also acts as a sink for Xen accesses to a vCPU's
vcpu_info. By removing the check, you switch that from being a safeguard to
being something that actually has to be expected to be accessed. Unless
you've audited all uses to prove that no such access exists.

Jan