On 20.03.2024 17:29, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 04:09:33PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 20.03.2024 14:57, Roger Pau Monne wrote:
>>> There's no reason to force HVM guests to have a valid vcpu_info area when
>>> initializing a vCPU, as the vCPU can also be brought online using the local
>>> APIC, and on that path there's no requirement for vcpu_info to be setup
>>> ahead
>>> of the bring up.  Note an HVM vCPU can operate normally without making use
>>> of
>>> vcpu_info.
>>
>> While I'd agree if you started with "There's no real need to force ...", I
>> still think there is a reason: If one wants to use paravirt interfaces (i.e.
>> hypercalls), they would better do so consistently. After all there's also
>> no need to use VCPUOP_initialise, yet you're not disabling its use.
>>
>> As said in reply to Andrew's reply, besides acting as a sentinel that
>> structure instance also acts as a sink for Xen accesses to a vCPU's
>> vcpu_info. By removing the check, you switch that from being a safeguard to
>> being something that actually has to be expected to be accessed. Unless
>> you've audited all uses to prove that no such access exists.
>
> I'm kind of lost in this last paragraph, how is that different than
> what currently happens when an HVM vCPU >= 32 is brought up using the
> lapic and has no vpcu_info mapped?

I think this aspect was simply missed back at the time. And I think it
wants mentioning explicitly to justify the change.

As said in reply to Andrew, I don't think the dummy structure can be got
rid of. Nor can the checks here be (easily) removed altogether, i.e. your
change cannot (easily) be extended to PV as well. Even conditional removal
of the structure in !PV builds would first require all vcpu_info accesses
to gain a suitable conditional. Which may be undesirable, as some of these
may be deemed fast paths.

> Also, from a quick look it seems like sites do check whether vcpu_info
> == dummy_vcpu_info, otherwise we would already be in trouble.

Such checks exist in code managing vcpu_info, but not - afaics - in places
actually accessing it.

Jan