It is not necessarily the processors PIR register value, nor does
it have any other meaning.

You can set the PIR to whatever you want, it's R/W.

It doesn't have to be. Book3 2.02 says:

"Read access to the PIR is privileged; write access, if provided, is
described in the Book IV, PowerPC Implementation Features document for
the implementation".

Yeah.  We were talking specifically about 970 though (or I was at
least, heh).

In other words, it's up to the implemenation if it's writable or
not, and how it's writable: Chip in init scans, mtspr or other ways.

...and I goofed: PIR is R/O on 970, it's initialised via a bunch
of pin straps on the CPU package.

Segher