It is showing less than 300 G because it is a sparse file. (all the blocks are
not allocated upfront.)

The difference on the NFS server *may* be because of the BUG mentioned in the
man page.

" On BSD systems, `du' reports sizes that are half the correct values
for files that are NFS-mounted from HP-UX systems.  On HP-UX systems,
it reports sizes that are twice the correct values for files that are
NFS-mounted from BSD systems.  This is due to a flaw in HP-UX; it also
affects the HP-UX `du' program."

/Jd