Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Philippe Gerum wrote:
>> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:

>>> Yes, I did not think about the stealing when writing my test, but I
>>> think it could be a good idea to add it to the test, especially if you
>>> want to port the test to the native API.
>>>
>>> I let Philippe decide here. He is the one who did the stealing stuff and
>>> probably knows better.
>>>
>> Currently, the xnsynch strongly couples PIP and ownership, which seems to
>> impede
>> your various proposals. I would suggest to decouple that: the basic property
>> of
>> some xnsynch that we may want to handle is exclusiveness, then dynamic
>> priority
>> inheritance is another property, that could stack its own semantics on top of
>> exclusiveness.
>>
>> XNSYNCH_EXCLUSIVE would cover all ownership-related actions, XNSYNCH_PIP
>> would
>> simply add dynamic priority management. Non exclusive object would not
>> require
>> any xnsynch_set_owner() handling.
>>
>> Just to give a clear signal here: I will happily consider any change to the
>> xnsynch object that may ease the implementation of fast ownership handling
>> (i.e.
>> userland-to-userland transfer). The only thing is that such code is very much
>> prone to regressions, so a testsuite must come with core changes in that
>> area,
>> but I guess you know that already.
>
> Ok. I think unit_mutex.c is a good start. It only lacks testing
> XNROBBED.

My colleague sent me an extension. It's native-only so far, but it
already pointed out a bug in my try-acquire implementation that should
be present in posix as well (trylock must go through the slow path).

> And well, cases of more than two waiters are not tested as
> well, but I would not think it really matters. It could be extended as
> well to allow switching at start time between the posix api and the
> native api, after all we do not care much about the overhead of calling
> function pointers in a a test application.

For now we have two files already, but maybe we can merge them later
based on your proposal.

> As for evolution of xnsynch, I am all for it, but it would break
> anything implemented before, so it will probably be on Jan's critical path.

I have some intermediate version here that breaks up the
retry-on-XNROBBED loop, doing it at skin level instead. This is
targeting the first customer delivery.

I also have two implementations of fast locking now, native and posix,
and they don't look that bad /wrt moving quite a few bits into xnsynch -
later.

Jan

PS: The test cases + my /proc/xenomai/registry/usage probably unveiled
another pending bug: Native user space tasks are leaking handles, even
on vanilla Xenomai SVN (didn't test 2.4.x yet). Will look into this later.