>> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:

>>> We discussed the issue of having a way to force threads to relax with
>>> Philippe, and we both had patches to make this work. However, the issue
>>> we recently had with the emulated iret on x86 makes me think that we can
>>> not relax at any point in time, the code surrounding the relax has to be
>>> made to allow a relax to occur.
>>>
>> Those issues were fixed. If we have similar problems around
>> __ipipe_handle_irq (I would expect the relaxation to take place in
>> xnintr_*_handler), then they should be fixed as well.
>>
>> The problem is that I currently do not see any other way of cleanly
>> terminating or debugging some Xenomai user space thread doing "while
>> (1);" (or any more complicated variation).
>
> I am not really opposed to the "force relax upon signal", thing, but the
> current approach used to work, at least with v2.3.x, so it must be my
> recent rework of thread termination which broke things, maybe we can
> repair them?

That was my first impression as well, but I've some feeling that it was
only silently broken so far. IIRC, Xenomai shadow threads must not run
in unmapped state after deleting their nucleus counterpart (but that's
what we do when the watchdog fired!). Rather, proper termination for
shadow threads goes via relaxing and then do_exit.