On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 16:47, Gilles Chanteperdrix
<gilles.chanteperd...@xenomai.org> wrote:
> Peter Soetens wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm creating my RT threads using the native API and I'm creating
>> mqueues, wrapped to the pthread_rt library.
>> I can read and write the mqueue (and it goes through Xenomai), but
>> when I select() on a receiving mqd_t, the select() calls returns that
>> there is data available on the mq (it fills in the FD_SET), but keeps
>> doing so even when it's empty (the select() is in a loop). Also, it's
>> modeswitching like nuts.
>>
>> I found out that the __wrap_select is correctly called, but returns
>> -EPERM. Kernel sources indicate that this is caused by
>> pse51_current_thread() alias thread2pthread() returning null. Since
>> EPERM is returned to userspace, the __real_select is called from user
>> space, causing the mode switches and bad behaviour. This is almost
>> certainly the thing that native + RTDM + select() is seeing too.
>>
>> My mqueues-only work probably because mq.c only uses
>> pse51_current_thread() in the mq_notify function. I'm guessing that
>> mq_notify would also not work in combination with native skin.
>>
>> I had two options in fixing this: add a xnselector to the native task
>> struct or to the nucleus xnthread_t. I choose the latter, such that
>> every skin kan use select() + RTDM and migrate gradualy to the RTDM
>> and/or Posix skin.
>> I needed to free the xnselector structure in xnpod_delete_thread() , I
>> chose a spot, but it causes a segfault in my native thread (which did
>> the select) during program cleanup. Any advice ? Also, maybe we should
>> separate select() from the posix skin and put it in a separate place
>> (in RTDM as rtdm_select() ?), such that we can start building around
>> it (posix just forwards to rtdm_select() then).
>>
>> A second patch was necessary to return the timeout case properly to
>> userspace (independent of first patch).
>>
>> Tested with native + posix loaded and mq. If you never quit your
>> application, this works :-)
>>
>> (maybe we discuss this better further on xenomai-core)
>
> Ok. Got it now. My idea with that the nucleus service xnselect could be
> used to implement select-like services which would have different
> semantics depending on the skins.
>
> So, the select service with posix semantics was reserved to posix skin
> threads.

Yes. The segfaults I'm seeing is not related to the cleanup of my
xnselector struct in xnpod_delete_thread, because when removing the
cleanup code, still leads to the segfault. Probably Posix does
something special to let the thread leave select() earlier.

0x00007ffff59a224b in pthread_cancel () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff59a224b in pthread_cancel () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x00007ffff6ae3ed5 in rt_task_delete (task=0x787388) at task.c:213

Peter