Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Peter Soetens wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 17:34, Gilles Chanteperdrix
>> <gilles.chanteperd...@xenomai.org> wrote:

>>> To know whether the bug comes from your code or from an unseen bug in
>>> xnselect implementation (there is a suspicious access to the xnselector
>>> structure when waking up), could you try the same test with the original
>>> support, simply using posix skin threads.
>> Will do next week.
>>
>>> Other than that, the support is really tied to the posix skin: this
>>> version of select will only accept file descriptors which were returned
>>> by the posix skin or the rtdm skin. So, I am afraid making it a generic
>>> service is a bit hard.
>> I don't have a clear view like you have, but clearly, being able to
>> use select() on the rtdm user API while using any other skin than
>> Posix looks like a big plus to me.
>
> This was also the big plan when pushing the xnselect service in the nucleus.
>
>> I thought this was also in the line
>> of what Philippe was thinking of, ie to center our file descriptors
>> around the rtdm. Moving select() to rtdm, and having the Posix skin as
>> the first 'compatible with rtdm' skin, changes the perspective for the
>> better imho.
>>
>> I'm not looking for making select() generic for all skins, but
>> adapting the existing skins to opt-in for using 'rtdm_select()', which
>> is something we can merge in gradually. Do you think this is
>> feasible/desired ?
>
> I think rtdm_select has to be different from select. For the simple
> reason that there is currently a translation
> posix rtdm fd == rtdm fd + 1024 - 128
>
> To fix this, we will have to wait for something that we are dreaming for
> some time, a unified file descriptor abstraction in the nucleus. But
> seeing the 2.5 todo list thread, you will have understood that we are
> not going to make it for 2.5...

Do not get me wrong. We can fix select to work with non-posix threads
without the unified file descriptor support, the way you did it.
However, this select will still only work for file descriptors obtained
using posix skin wrapped service, not with file descriptors obtained
directly from the rtdm skin. So, it would make little sense to move it
out of the posix skin.