On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 14:58 +0200, Jesper Christensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to implement some gateway functionality in the kernel on a
> emerson CPCI6200 board, but have run into some strange errors. The
> kernel module is made up of two threads that run every 1 ms. I have also
> made use of the rtpc dispatcher in rtnet to dispatch control messages
> from a netlink socket to the RT part of my kernel module.
>
> The problem is that when loaded the threads get suspended due to exceptions:
>
> Xenomai: suspending kernel thread b929cbc0 ('tt_upgw_0') at 0xb929cbc0
> after exception #1792
>
> or
>
> Xenomai: suspending kernel thread b929cbc0 ('tt_upgw_0') at 0x0 after
> exception #1025
>
> or
>
> Xenomai: suspending kernel thread b911f518 ('rtnet-rtpc') at 0xb911f940
> after exception #1792
>

> I have ported the "gianfar" driver from linux to rtnet.
>
> The versions and hardware are listed below. The errors are most likely
> due to faulty software on my part, but i would like to ask if there are
> any known issues with the versions or hardware i'm using. I would also
> like to ask if there are any ways of further debugging the errors as i
> am not getting very far with the above messages.

A severe bug at kthread init was fixed in the 2.5.5.2 - 2.5.6 timeframe,
which would cause exactly the kind of weird behavior you are seeing
right now. The bug triggered random code execution due to stack memory
pollution at init on powerpc for Xenomai kthreads:
http://git.xenomai.org/?p=xenomai-rpm.git;a=commit;h=90699565cbce41f2cec193d57857bb5817efc19a
http://git.xenomai.org/?p=xenomai-rpm.git;a=commit;h=da20c20d4b4d892d40c657ad1d32ddb6d0ceb47c
http://git.xenomai.org/?p=xenomai-rpm.git;a=commit;h=a5886b354dc18f054b187b58cfbacfb60bccaf47

You need at the very least those three patches (from the top of my
head), but it would be much better to upgrade to 2.5.6.