On 07/27/2011 06:16 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
On 2011-07-27 18:13, zenati wrote:
On 2011-07-26 13:54, zenati wrote:
Dear,

I'm trying to debug Xenomai kernel with GDB and Qemu.
QEMU in emulation or KVM mode?

I'm using Qemu in emulation mode.
What's your target arch? x84-64, x86-32, or some ARM or PPC etc.
x86-32
So, I launch
Xenomai in Qemu and make it waiting for GDB. Then I start GDB and
connect them to Qemu, make breakpoint at the desired function to debug
and start Xenomai. If the function belongs to the linux kernel, the
execution stop at the breakpoint. But, if the function belongs to the
Xenomai nucleus, GDB recognize the breakpoint at the execution but don't
stop.
Is Xenomai built as module or part of the main kernel image? The latter
is simpler to handle as you don't have to deal with modules as symbol
sources, find out their addresses, and load them at the right location.

Xenomai is built as a part of the main kernel.
OK. Check during runtime of the guest if the disassembly at the desired
breakpoint address matches the compiled code. Maybe there is some
accidental discrepancy.
The breakpoints match correctly the compiled code. Anyway, it must stop
at the breakpoint. No?
...if the guest actually executes that address.

I haven't used x86 QEMU in emulation mode for quite a while to debug
something. Maybe we have a regression there. What's your QEMU version?
QEMU PC emulator version 0.12.3 (qemu-kvm-0.12.3), Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard
Do you have a chance to test with a KVM host? It's faster anyway.
I never used it before... But I'm ready to test it if there is no others ways to debug.
Jan

Omar ZENATi