On 01/16/2012 03:25 PM, Makarand Pradhan wrote:

"Real-time pipes are deprecated."

We use a lot of rt pipes. So, can you pl elaborate on this? I would
highly appreciate if you can comment on the following.

1. When will the rt pipe interface be removed? Any time frame?

Xenomai 3. Xenomai 2.x will keep them forever.

2. Would like to understand the reason for deprecating the interface.

- Because there is a better socket-based API implemented by the RTIPC driver w/ the XDDP protocol, which does not require running application level code in kernel space (RT_PIPE is definitely an application level API). This new interface is available since Xenomai 2.5.x. It is functionally 100% equivalent to the legacy RT_PIPE API.

- Because no support will be provided in Xenomai 3 for running application level code in kernel space, so RT_PIPE have to go from kernel space. However, RT_PIPE are still part of the user-space API of Xenomai 3, interfacing with XDDP endpoints in kernel space.

I'm really referring to application level code, by contrast to RTDM driver level code which will obviously remain a first-class citizen in kernel space.

o http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Xenomai:Roadmap

o http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.6/html/api/group__rtipc.html

o examples/rtdm/profiles/ipc in the Xenomai distro

Thanks and Rgds,