On 2012-01-25 19:05, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2012-01-25 18:44, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:

>>> Err... SIGSEGV is not a feature, it was the bug I fixed today. :) So the
>>> test case actually specified a bug as correct behavior.
>>>
>>> The fallback case is in fact killing the RT task as before. But I'm
>>> unsure right now: will this leave the system always in a clean state
>>> behind?
>>
>> The test case being a test case and doing nothing particular, I do not
>> see what could go wrong. And if something goes wrong, then it needs fixing.
>
> Well, if you kill a RT task while it's running in the kernel, you risk
> inconsistent system states (held mutexex etc.). In this case the task is
> supposed to spin in user space. If that is always safe, let's implement
> the test.

Had a closer look: These days the two-stage killing is only useful to
catch endless loops in the kernel. User space tasks can't get around
being migrated on watchdog events, even when SIGDEBUG is ignored.

To trigger the enforced task termination without leaving any broken
states behind, there is one option: rt_task_spin. Surprisingly for me,
it actually spins in the kernel, thus triggers the second level if
waiting long enough. I wonder, though, if that behavior shouldn't be
improved, ie. the spinning loop be closed in user space - which would
take away that option again.

Thoughts?