C Robinson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I followed the suggested install procedure to setup a Xenomai kernel on my
> x86 Ubuntu system.
> (http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Building_Debian_packages)
> I would like to verify that everything is hunky-dory, but I'm not quite sure
> how.   I have read in some places that "user space" needs to be set up,
> although this is not mentioned in the reference I followed.   Is this still
> necessary?
>
> The command:
>       dmesg | grep Xenomai
> Shows:
>       [    0.659903] I-pipe: Domain Xenomai registered.
>       [    0.659928] Xenomai: hal/i386 started.
>       [    0.659942] Xenomai: scheduling class idle registered.
>       [    0.659944] Xenomai: scheduling class rt registered.
>       [    0.660450] Xenomai: real-time nucleus v2.5.4 (Sleep Walk) loaded.
>       [    0.660570] Xenomai: starting native API services.
>       [    0.660572] Xenomai: starting POSIX services.
>       [    0.660599] Xenomai: starting RTDM services.
>
> The command:
>       xeno-test
> Is not quite so promising (there was more of the same text above and below
> the output shown below):

We get that a lot. Fixing xeno-test is on our todo list, but not just
for right now.
In the mean-time, you can run the tests one by one.

The following paper:
http://download.intel.com/design/intarch/papers/322386.pdf

Is not really up to date with regard to kernel configuration, but gives
an overview of our testsuite.

> I am also attempting to follow the instructions to set up the examples
> (http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Examples).    I extracted the examples to:
> /usr/xenomai_egs/xenomai-head/examples/
> so this would be the directory I would use for the first step. (Although I
> notice that I also have something at /usr/share/xenomai/testsuite/unit/)
>
> The second step, I come across the reference to 'user space', the step being:
>
> make XENO=<xenomai-installation-path> KSRC=<xenomai-kernel-source>
>
> I do not need a second argument (since I am in the patched kernel)
> but the first argument is the user space directory.
> So my next question is to check if the user space (i.e. the XENO variable)
> refers to the directory /home/<user name>/xenomai-2.5.4 and if so, is it ok
> to use my default user name?

I am not really familiar with these examples, I will let other people
answer.

--
                                            Gilles.