2012/4/23 Philippe Gerum <r...@xenomai.org>:
> On 04/23/2012 03:51 AM, Willy Lambert wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a message  in dmesg about SMI workaround :
>> Xenomai: SMI-enabled chipset found, but SMI workaround disabled
>>          (check CONFIG_XENO_HW_SMI_WORKAROUND). You may encounter
>>          high interrupt latencies!
>>
>> My kernel should be configured properly and following the "In case of
>> high latencies" of
>> http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Configuring_x86_kernels thread, I did
>> some tests.
>>
>> Latency test is here (if it is us it should be ok no ?):
>>

> Yes, this looks ok, but you need to run this test longer, and try a few
> usual suspects like plugging in/out USB devices while doing so (e.g. mouse,
> netdev).
>
> The point of this message is to tell you that your chipset is known to
> create latency issues in some cases (like most Intel chipset these days),
> but you did not enable the Xenomai code which works around such issues by
> shutting down problematic SMI sources. That may be right, or even required
> to leave all the SMI sources enabled (e.g. thermal control), but this might
> also lead to unacceptable latency spots. YMMV.
>
> This is basically a heads up message.
>
> --
> Philippe.

Ok, thanks for answers.

I did the test again , playing with usb and using the stress program
to generate CPU load. The max latency for now is 15us in 4 mins. So I
think it will be ok to keep SMI on for the time. Please let me know if
this test is still stoo short.
RTS|      0.604|      2.332|     15.161|       0|     0|    00:03:59/00:03:59

Do you know by chance where I can found infos about SMI sources ? I
suppose it is not in the ICH8M docs, it would be in my board doc ? Or
have I a soft way to do this check so that I don't have to spend time
with my vendor which will obviously have hard time to answer that ?