Carrs wrote:

Hi,

a newbie question. I would like advice on which TeX-based software it would be best to learn in detail for my typesetting plans. So far, I have learned a little TeX and a little LaTeX, but not enough of either to tell me which will work best for me.

The features I want to be able to typeset are:  [many and complex]

XeTeX can do all of these, but the intellectual effort required of a beginner is likely to prove nigh unsurmountable.  I expect that XaLaTeX can do the same with somewhat less intellectual input, but as I never use LaTeX in any guise I am not the best person to advise.

Philip Taylor