Hello,

I'm using cvs version of XFree. I use radeon.o supplied with XFree. My kernel
is 2.4.20 and it has no direct rendering compiled in.

The problem is: a total lockup occurs when:

1) starting X, shutting down and starting X again.
2) starting X and switching to text terminal (eg. Ctrl-Atrl-F1) and back to X.

In this case, a total lockup means:
1) black screen
2) no response to mouse and keyboard input
3) no response to ping from my laptop.
-> hard reboot

Homewer, it does not crash when direct rendering is not enabled. Thus, kernel
module
/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel/radeon.o
seems to be causing all the problems. I install it using insmod and it
reports: "[drm] AGP 0.99 aperture @ 0xc00000000 256MB
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.7.0 20020828 on minor 0"

A complete XFree86's log can be found at
http://tlaitinen.kompassi.com/XFree86log.html

Another interesting thing is
"(II) RADEON(0): [drm] failure adding irq handler, there is a device already
using that irq
[drm] falling back to irq-free operation"

Direct rendering fails to assign IRQ for device and DRI isn't then fast at
all..

I would really appreciate if you pointed out what I have done wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Tero Laitinen