Around 20 o'clock on Feb 17, Mike FABIAN wrote:

> Do you still think enabling the byte code interpreter is a good idea
> even with the improved auto hinter in Freetype 2.1.3?

For non-AA rendering, the byte code interpreter is crucial; there's no
other way to adjust curves and diagonals to "look good".

Even for AA rendering, some fonts are so badly designed (Times New Roman
springs to mind here), that the interepreter is really the only way to get
them to behave at small pixel sizes.

Yes, 2.1.3 has dramatically better looking results for many fonts when
using anti-aliasing.  So much better that it no longer pains me to look at
a screen displaying AA text without hints, but if you've got the
opportunity to use the hinter, you should take advantage of of it.  After
all, the type foundries spent more time and money developing the hints for
a face than in developing the face itself; it's a real shame when people
can't take advantage of that labor.

> Freetype 2.1.3 also seems to have a bug that when the byte code
> interpreter is enabled, Type1 fonts cannot be displayed anymore.

Hmm.  Haven't seen that problem here; but then I don't use many Type1
faces.

-keith