On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:

>This is a cool bug!
>
>I have ATI AiW 128 Pro 16 Mb card with TV-out. This is a Page 128 Pro PF
>chip, I belive. I get no output on display when I start xfree86
>with TV plugged in. Everything works without TV.
>
>Let's be fair, switching to virtual console works and I can do work there,
>so it's not a complete freeze or crush - just no signal in graphics mode
>with TV in.
>
>Let's be fair once more, Windows 98 also behaves funny. Plugging in TV
>halves the refresh rate or something. Sort of, the card splits the signal
>into two outputs, to TV and to the monitor, but at least I get the signal.
>TV requires 800x600 at 60 Hz signal; without TV I get 120 Hz on the monitor
>at the same resolution.
>
>Mike, as far as Red Hat 8.0.94 goes, anaconda fails to recognize the card
>properly when the TV is plugged in. I recognizes it as Rage 128, instead of
>Rage 128 Pro. Then, graphical installation doesn't work, etc. Without
>TV everything works like a magic.

Hmm.  That is weird because our autodetection tools are keyed of
PCI ID.  Every PCI ID has one driver assigned to it only, and
when that ID is detected, the driver name is looked up in
pcitable, and then the driver selection looked up in the Cards
database.

I can't imagine why you would see Rage 128 one time and Rage 128
Pro another time.  Doesn't make much sense to me.  One thing
though, is that the name is just cosmetic anyway.  Any Rage 128
anything chip, get's ultimately assigned to the "r128" driver, so
you can manually pick any random Rage128 chip instead of using
autodetection, and you'll end up with a possibly misnamed card
name in your config file, but with an otherwise identical
configuration.

Your problem is indeed interesting though.  Could you put logs
and configs somewhere to have a peek at.  The logs might show
some clues.

Thanks,
TTYL