On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Bijoy Thomas wrote:

>Hello,
>
>        I have a PIII system with RedHat Linux 7.1 (kernel 2.4)
>installed. Till now i had no problems whatsoever with Linux. I always
>login as root.My graphics display on Linux has been working fine and
>I've worked in almost all the desktop
>environments(GNOME,KDE,Enlightenment).Yesterday on entering KDE i found
>that the icons floppy,cdrom and Trash were displayed on the top
>lefthand corner of the screen. They had been there everytime but
>yesterday i decided to get rid of them. I right clicked on the Desktop
>and selected Configure Desktop and then changed the Desktop path to
>/root/empty (an empty directory). Everything went fine until the next
>time i entered KDE the icons were there again. Just for fun i changed
>the Desktop path to /root and found that everything under /root got

<snip>

This means that you must be logging in and running X as root.  This is 
explicitly something that you are warned against doing.  Every version 
of Red Hat that I can remember posts a message on the screen telling you 
that this is a bad thing to do.

The answer to your question can be found by searching the archives of 
this mail group at 
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xfree86&r=1&b=200302&w=2

Hope this helps,

Oisin Feeley

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86
  • ... Kiran Mistry
    • ... Lukasz Drop
    • ... Ing. Sergiu S. Cabac
      • ... James Boyden
      • ... Tiikuli
    • ... Bijoy Thomas
      • ... Oisin C. Feeley
    • ... Scott Elgram
    • ... anuj gupta
    • ... Trinanjan Sengupta
    • ... Олег Кирюшенков
    • ... Ramesh Subrahmaniam
    • ... Darrel Irwin
    • ... D . Zeroual
    • ... Antonio Teixeira

Reply via email to