I also have this problem with my Matrox G400.
I noticed this problem about 1 month and a half ago, while I was trying
Xfree86-4.2.99.X. I didn't change anything from my configuration except
from recompiling the Xfree. This problem happens with either 2.4.21-preX
or with 2.5.64, with matroxfb on or not.

Regards
        Panagiotis Papadakos

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Tom Wesley wrote:

> On Sunday 16 March 2003 09:50, Ken Stanley wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 04:25, Tom Wesley wrote:
> >
> >     On Sunday 16 March 2003 12:04, Ken Stanley wrote:
> >     > On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 01:42, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> >     >
> >     >     On 16 Mar 2003, Ken Stanley wrote:
> >     >     >When I try to restart X 4.3 my computer freezes completely after
> >     >     > the screen goes blank. Something about X is not shutting down
> >     >     > properly. I use Gnome 2.2, but it can't be that because this
> >     >     > also occured when using twm as the window manager. What could
> >     >     > cause X to behave this way?
> >     >
> >     >     Try disabling your sound card, so that sound drivers do not load
> >     >     at all.  Then try starting and stopping X.  If that solves it,
> >     >     then the sound drivers are potentially buggy.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Actually, I don't have sound enabled already because this computer
> >     > doesn't have a sound card. And when I tried compiling a new kernel I
> >     > didn't compile sound drivers. I turned them off.
> >     >
> >     >     Another common problem is APM.  Disable APM in your BIOS, and
> >     >     disable apmd from being loaded at OS boot time.
> >     >
> >     > Same as above, I don't have it, disabled it, and did not compile it
> >     > in the customer kernel. Someone on another forum suggested it might
> >     > be a hardware issue and to see if there is an update to my BIOS. I am
> >     > going to try that first. Another thing I can try is to switch the
> >     > hard drive out with the Windows 2000 machine and try to load X that
> >     > way... that would definately tell if it's hardware.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >     If neither suggestion works, it could be an X bug possibly, or
> >     >     perhaps something else.
> >     >
> >     >     --
> >     >     Mike A. Harris
> >
> >     Are you using the framebuffer? That can sometimes freeze when leaving
> > x.
> >
> >     Tom
> >
> >
> > I don't believe so. The only frame buffer I know about is when I use the
> > vga option from LILO -- and up until an hour ago I couldn't use LILO
> > because my mainboard didn't recognize my hard drive. I flashed my BIOS
> > to fix that, also in hopes to fix X somehow. Didn't fix X. But I did
> > find out that it has no problem using a different video
> > card/mainboard/cpu. Could it somehow be a conflict between the savage
> > driver and GDM? I feel like I've made progress, but I'm not sure how
> > much or in which direction.
>
> try adding
> vga=0 apm=off acpi=off
> to the lilo prompt, just to try
>
> tom
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to