On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 08:55, Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Son, 2003-03-16 at 10:50, Ken Stanley wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 04:25, Tom Wesley wrote: 
>         >     On 16 Mar 2003, Ken Stanley wrote:
>         >     >When I try to restart X 4.3 my computer freezes completely after the
>         >     >screen goes blank. Something about X is not shutting down properly. I
>         >     >use Gnome 2.2, but it can't be that because this also occured when
>         >     > using twm as the window manager. What could cause X to behave this
>         >     > way?
>         
>         Are you using the framebuffer? That can sometimes freeze when leaving x.

That's news to me.

> I don't believe so. The only frame buffer I know about is when I use
> the vga option from LILO -- and up until an hour ago I couldn't use
> LILO because my mainboard didn't recognize my hard drive. I flashed my
> BIOS to fix that, also in hopes to fix X somehow. Didn't fix X. But I
> did find out that it has no problem using a different video
> card/mainboard/cpu. Could it somehow be a conflict between the savage
> driver and GDM?

No, but there tend to be problems on server reset because those code
paths are only rarely tested in the drivers - see the recent threads
about lockups on server reset with the radeon driver.

Restarting the server instead of only resetting it usually works around
these problems; for gdm, set

AlwaysRestartServer=true

in gdm.conf to achieve that.


-- 
Earthling Michel Dänzer (MrCooper)/ Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc) developer
XFree86 and DRI project member   /  CS student, Free Software enthusiast

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Actually in the latest version of GDM it's default to restart the server:

<snipet from gdm.conf>
# If you are having trouble with using a single server for a long time and
# want gdm to kill/restart the server, turn this on
# Note: I've made this default to true now because there seem to be some
# issues ranging from some things not being reset in the X server to
# pam issues with the slave.  It is likely that this feature may be removed
# in the future and we're always going to do server restarts.
</snipet>

Reply via email to