You are very much right about what you said. Yes, I use Swing/AWT. Let me 
be more specific about this problem: The missperformance does not appear 
if I run the application fully on the local machine. It appears only over 
the X protocol. I just want to know if this normally should happen, or do I 
have some missunderstandings. I mean: the app run on a Unix machine in 
both cases. If the GUI is running locally everything is ok. If the GUI is 
running remote over the X protocol the interaction with the user is very 
slow, also the drawing of the controls.

Regards,
Sergiu


On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Brian [Big5] Hsu(�j�ӼC�P) wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:23:43 +0200 (EET)
> Sergiu Dunca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 
> > Hi,
> > I tried to use several times Java programs with GUI over de X protocol and 
> > the speed was very slow. All other native applications ran ok. The tests 
> > were made with applications running on Solaris and Linux. Does anybody 
> > have any clue about this missperformance ?
> > 
> > Thanks,
> > Sergiu
> > 
> 
> Since Java used virtual machine, I'm afraid that the misperormance was
> definetly if you are using Swing/AWT.
> 
> Machine Code(a.out or something like that) ==> CPU
> Binary Code (.class) => Java VM(java) => CPU
> 
> The first one should be faster right?
> 
> If you don't care about cross-platform or something like that, I strongly
> recommand you trying java-gnome which use JNI(Java Native Interface) to
> access GNOME/GTK+ library.It's much faster than Swing and AWT, cause drawing
> GUI won't thorugh Java virtual machine.
> 
> http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/
> 
> But onces you used it, your Java program may not cross-platform any more.
> 
> Best regards,
> Brian Hsu.
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to