On Fre, 2003-04-04 at 18:46, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On Friday 04 April 2003 16:52, you wrote:
>  > I', using 4.2.0 on my Laptop (IMB Thinkpad A30), which seems to have a
> 
> Mine is ACER Aspire 1430, with the
> 
>  > (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/27,
>  > 0xc0100000/16, I/O @ 0x3000/8
>  >
>  > With 4.2.0 this works fine (except a drawing bug when using line width 0
>  > ...), so I tried to upgrade to 4.3.0.
>  >
>  > The Problem with 4.3.0 is that the display is sometimes (after X start)
>  > completely unusable, because the full display jitters.
> [--SNIP--]
> 
> I have the exact same card with the exact same problem. Switching once or twice
> fixes the problem. Killing the server and restarting it (runlevel 5) helps also.
> 
> BUT I use the framebuffer console and it happens from time to time that the
> display jitters in this same way when the kernel boots (kernel 2.4.20 vanilla).
> 
> So I suspect there's a bug in either :
>  - the kernel radeon framebuffer
>  - the XFree radeon driver
>  - both.

I think it must be the last as Martin doesn't mention a framebuffer
device at all and it doesn't seem to happen with 4.2 for him. That's
very interesting; someone 'only' needs to look at a diff between the
radeon driver in 4.2 and 4.3 and see what was changed that's also done
in radeonfb. ;) I used to have the problem on a PowerBook with an M7,
but not with an M6 or an M9. I guess it's a semi-random (timing related?)
bug influenced by many factors.


-- 
Earthling Michel D�nzer   \  Debian (powerpc), XFree86 and DRI developer
Software libre enthusiast  \     http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to