Cristian Campeanu writes: > Hi there, > > My name is Cristian Campeanu and I'm from Romania. > I own a Likom L - 403 monitor which a broke 3 times already by changing > resolution (the usual Ctrl+Alt+-) and a S3 Trio3D. I'm running RedHat Linux > 7.2 with the 2.4.7-10 kernel and XFree 4.1.0 with the compatibility modules > for 3.3.6. > Under XF86_SVGA I had no problems but trying XFree86 to get (some) > acceleration it all works fine until I try to change resolution. Then 3 > transistors die: the final transistor, the line driver and one FET in the > source (I hope I translated this well enough for an electronics specialist to > understand). I'm guessing it's something about timings. Probably the svga > driver waits a while before applying the new settings and the s3virge driver > doesn't. > I only have one question: is it my monitor or is it software? > I'm attatching my config files and the logfile (I use a script to get messages > from 3.3.6).
The problem you are seeing is quite rare and I don't recall when somebody reported here that a monitor died when switching modes. What surprises me most however that this happens although your monitor is rather new: it even has DDC support. Usually these monitors support multi sync and are capable of detecting if the sync frequencies are out of range. All modes listed in the log which are available thru mode switching are around 60Hz and should not cause problems on almost any monitor. I suppose if you set any of these modes as the startup mode you don't see any problems. So the problem is most likely the mode change itself. It is theoretically possible that during mode transition the sync frequencies are out of range for a short while. Unfortunately I have no idea how to debug this. You could try a newer version of the XFree86 as 4.1 is rather old however I don't think that the mode setting part of the code has changed since then. Do you remember if it happened during any mode transition or only during a switch between two specific modes (ie. when you switch from 1024x768 to 640x480)? Egbert. _______________________________________________ XFree86 mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

