On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Marc Aurele La France wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Maxime Labelle wrote:
> 
> > I was wondering if it is possible (and I know it is..) to hack the XFree86
> > code to make the virtual screen follow the mouse's cursor as if the screen's
> > window mouvement was linked to the centered cursor. By that I mean that if I
> > move the cursor, the whole zoomed section of the screen moves with the
> > cursor. Then if the cursor reach a certain percentage of the zoomed screen'
> > width and height it stops being linked so it becomes possible to move the
> > cursor freely again..
> 
> > The purpose of this is for a friend of mine who has 30% of his vision and is
> > using UNIX. He needs his screen to be in very low resolution for him to see
> > things clearly.
> 
> > I am just asking a evaluation of how hard and how long might it takes to do
> > such a job onto the XFree86 source code. I will do such modifications myself
> > but I was hoping for you to give me a hand to publish the code and expose it
> > on xfree.org to promote and help people with vision problems..
> 
> Something like this shouldn't be too hard.
> 
> In xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Cursor.c in the sources,
> you'll find the functions xf86InitViewport(), xf86PointerMoved() and
> xf86SwitchMode().  These could be generalised to factor in a configurable
> percentage of the physical resolution whose edges the pointer's
> hot-spot needs to stay away from.
> 
> Marc.

   Yes, shouldn't be difficult.  If the factor were global and defaulted
to 100% we'd have the same behavior as we currently do.  A commandline
option could change the percentage.  Provided the implementation was
clean, we should be able to make that part of the standard server.


                        Mark.

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to