Thanks for the info. Comments below...

Mark Vojkovich wrote:

[snip]

  I would normally suggest trying NVIDIA's binary Linux drivers, but
it is my understanding that the last NVIDIA binary Linux driver release
(4363) didn't support GeForceFX laptops but the next release will,
though it has not yet been released.

Thanks. Is there any way of knowing getting word when they're expected to be released?

   I suppose they'll be released when they're ready, not that it
will specifically address this problem.  If there's a mode missing
in the BIOS and the framebuffer device is relying on that, it would
probably occur with the NVIDIA binary drivers as well.

So for the garbled-boot-menu issue, I wonder if the boot loader has any control over this.

I mean, if it's intelligent enough to slap some Mandrake-specific graphcs around the menu, perhaps it's selecting a video mode for which my BIOS can't render text. That would make it a (Grub or Lilo) + Mandrake issue...

And for the framebuffer-restoration issue, do you think it's telling that I get this problem with the "nv" driver but not with the "vesa" driver? I.e., does that point to a possible problem in the nv driver's code that we should look at?

Also, is there any remedy whatsoever for the bad text rendition shown
during the boot loader?  For instance, a BIOS update?

   A BIOS update would probably fix that.  It might fix everything,
actually.  BIOSes on these systems are usually combination
System/Video BIOSes and are the responsibility of the vendor
(Toshiba in this case).

   I don't suppose you know your bios version do you?  I'm not
sure how to find it out on laptops these days.

This particular laptop has a nice, desktop-like boot sequence, so it's pretty easy...

During POST, it says "PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0". Insite the BIOS setup utility, however, it says "BIOS version 1.10".

Mark.