Andy Goth wrote:

> Try 8bpp mode and see if you can get any higher resolutions.
> If I'm reading the log right, you should be able to go up to
> 1024x768 that way.

Yup, 1024x768 worked in 8bpp mode.  Thanks.

> In order to use most resolutions, it is necessary to install the
> 'agpgart.o' module which accompanies this server.

No problem there.  That module comes with the RedHat kernel and it's
automatically loaded by starting the X server.

> It could be that it's only prepared to take between 768 KiB and 937
> KiB of system RAM, or at least that's what the BIOS mode list's
> ModeAttributes's MODE_SUPPORTED field suggests.

Ah ha, the BIOS.  It turns out that there is a BIOS option for video
memory.  It was set to 1024k.  (I guess Windows is able to happily
ignore this setting.)  I raised it to 8192k, and now 1024x768 works in
16bpp.  Thanks.

> If I had seen that line a couple hours ago I would have saved 
> myself... a couple hours!

Wow, I spent about a half hour trying to debug my problem, and you
spend a couple of hours on it.  Maybe I was unclear about which one of
us is going to use this computer?  :-)

Seriously though, thanks very much!

Sal


_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to