Sal Valente wrote:

Andy Goth wrote:

It could be that it's only prepared to take between 768 KiB and 937
KiB of system RAM, or at least that's what the BIOS mode list's
ModeAttributes's MODE_SUPPORTED field suggests.

Ah ha, the BIOS. It turns out that there is a BIOS option for video
memory. It was set to 1024k. (I guess Windows is able to happily
ignore this setting.) I raised it to 8192k, and now 1024x768 works in
16bpp. Thanks.

I have the same problem on a Dell D500 (I posted a message some time ago), but unlike the IBM, the Dell BIOS doesn't have the option to increase video memory, so I'm stuck with 8 bit. In the XFree86 documentation it is said that my only hope is a BIOS upgrade from the manufacturer, but I am wondering why Windows happily manages to ignore the BIOS setting, and Linux doesn't. Is there really nothing that can be done from the Linux side - I'm afraid by the time Dell considers a BIOS upgrade, the computer will be obsolete.

Peter