hi !
you can and you SHOULD use ssh for that purpose.
it gives you
- security
- performance gain because of optional compression of the datastream

read the ssh documentation and watch out for "X11 tunneling"  and "compression"
options of ssh. If you are windows user, then i would recommend using putty - it`s a
free ssh client for windows.

since X over wan-link generally _is_ sluggish (latency problems) i would recommend
using Nomachine NX (www.nomachine.com) - it`s being created just because of that
reason.
another solution to adress the latency and bandwidth problem: give vnc (e.g. tightvnc)
a try.

regards
roland