On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Christopher Thom wrote:

> Quoth William Gallafent:
> 
> > (Or have I missed something earlier in this discussion that prevents
> > this from working?)
> 
> yup.  The driver uses the video bios to programme video modes.  If a mode
> is not listed in the BIOS you are, as they say, shit outta luck :-(
> 
> the modes listed in my 855GM are 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1024x600,
> 1600x1200 and 1920x1440.  Since I have a hi-res 1400x1050 mode, I'm also
> screwed.
> 
> This is the fault of you're system manufacturer (in my case DELL).  You
> need to hassle them for a BIOS upgrade.

But my 1280x800 display works fine under Windows (i.e. not stretched) so 
the video card must support this (widescreen) mode. I guess the problem is 
that the Linux driver is not providing support for this mode (or rather, 
it doesn't obviously support this mode - maybe there is a patch or a fix 
somewhere?).

Coryn.

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to