Achim Schmidt wrote:

>only an idea:
>
>Did you also change MAIL_ROOT in /usr/sbin/sendmail(.sh) or does it
>still contain "export MAIL_ROOT=/var/MailRoot" ?
>
>- Achim

Achim, you rock!! I've spent many hours over several days trying to find
that config file. I never even thought to look in a /usr/sbin directory
for a configurable file. For those of you who didn't see the whole thread:

If you want to change the default XMail directory from /var/MailRoot to
/yourpath/MailRoot (in Linux) there are 3 steps that you need to take.

1.  Copy/move the entire /var/MailRoot directory to the new location.
Make sure XMail isn't running and all the files are copied including the
zero length files. (Thanks Davide)

2.  Change the XMAIL_ROOT variable in your init script to
XMAIL_ROOT=/yourpath/MailRoot

3.  Change the  MAIL_ROOT variable in the /usr/sbin/sendmail(.sh) script
to MAIL_ROOT=/yourpath/MailRoot (Thanks Achim)

If you want to move the MailRoot directory and for some reason these
steps don't work, creating a symbolic link from the "real" Mailroot
directory to /var/Mailroot is a kludgey solution, but it should also work.

<begin rant>

Why on earth do people put a script file in /usr/sbin!? The Linux/unix
directory structure makes me crazy on a good day. But then I find
something like this and it just puts me over the edge. Isn't it bad
enough that we can find binaries in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and
/usr/sbin, not to mention innumerable application directory trees. Now
even these directories are having script/config files placed in them.
Why can't all config/init script files go in /etc?? And while I'm
ranting, why call it /etc?? Why not /conf or /init?? AARRGGGHHH!!

<end rant>

I feel much better now. Thanks for understanding.

Jeff