I have also no filters that would change the message file and the same
situation occured, with two significant facts:
- analyzing the message file that caused pop3 session to crash I have found
that the message file contained regular message body (itself ending with
<cr><lf>) followed by couple of #00 bytes and then some amount of unknown
data. System crash would cause the message file to be cut in the middle
that was not the situation
- our mailserver is on UPS and had no crash for last several months

Lev, maybe analyzing your message file that caused pop3 session to hang
would help.

Roman