Davide Libenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Tracy wrote:
>
>>> Well, it was definitely a corrupt message of some kind in the outbound
>>> queue. Once I got about 200 of the waiting messages out of the queue,
>>> local mail delivery started flowing again.
>>>
>>> It looked like it might have been more than one message - what it really
>>> looked like was that all the smail threads were getting tied up trying
>>> to deliver mail that would go for one reason or another. Stopping the
>>> debug session and restarting it several times (with retry set to 4
>>> instead of default) cleared a bunch of it out and now things are going.
>>>
>>> I don't know what it was about the messages in particular - it could
>>> have been a number of nasty things, since all of the messages in
>>> question were spam reports and included the original spams.
>>>
>>> But for what it's worth, that's what I found out. Hope it strikes a
>>> chord with someone, and maybe turns up further answers.
>
> Did the messages that were slowing down (clobbering) the SMAIL threads
> fail a few times before being delivered?

The messages that were tying up the SMAIL threads were outbound
messages. Most of them were failing to be delivered (I set the retry
count down to 4, so I could get them out of the queue quicker). Once I
got past whichever ones were causing the problems (I cleared about 100
out of the outbound queue by stopping the debug session and starting
another one), I saw things starting to flow smoothly. I don't know
exactly which messages were causing the problems. But as I was shutting
down the debug sessions, I kept seeing the log data for each SMAIL
thread showing with failures for one reason or another (invalid server
address, error connecting to remote host, etc).

Don't know if that helps, or even if it's what you wanted to know. If I
didn't hit what you wanted to know, just let me know.

Tracy