Davide,
I'm looking at methods of analysing/reporting the xmail logs better.
Really I'd like to get real-time into mysql.

One way is to use a named pipe and another is to just tail a file into
another process.
The tail method doesn't recover well from restarting the conversion process,
unless it keeps track of records processed.

Both require a constant file name to be used (the tail method could check
for new files in the logs folder - I'd rather not)
But I was just wondering if it were possible to have an option on the
cmdline to rotate the log files (current action) or to NOT rotate the log
files.

with -logrotate=no, the files would be 'smtp.log' rather than 'smtp-{date}'
as the date would have no meaning.
(and smail, psync, etc)

In the case of a named pipe, do you see any problem with xmail outputting to
an existing file that was a pipe?
Or in the case of a single log file being used, one might use the OS's
logrotate tools, do you see any issue with that?

Rob :-)