At 19.16 21/03/08, Phillip R. Shaw wrote:

> >>if a MTA accepts a message for delivery, it must either deliver or bounce..
>While this was a nice idea at one time, it really isn't desirable any more.
>
>Why? SPAM. I get thousands of emails that I accept but are then
>rejected by my spam filtering. You don't want me sending all those
>bounce messages to your users (whose email address was forged in the email).

If a MTA thinks an incoming mail is spam, it can reject it with a
5xx. If it doesn't - i.e., accepts it for delivery - then it must
deliver or bounce (indeed, I think it's required to do that by relevant RFCs).

>I would assume that hotmail (and the others) have user options that
>say 'delete spam', so they don't have to look at it in their spam
>folder. This could the reason that it goes into hotmail, and the
>user never sees it. Some filtering is done when the email arrives,
>but a lot of time more filtering is done later.

Yes, I think what is happening is that hotmail or others mark the
mail as spam and place it somewhere, users don't realize it and say
"I didn't receive it". Actually it is delivered, and users can read
it if they like and know how.

Ciao, Francesco