On 4 Jan 2010 at 15:05, Spyros Tsiolis wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> I've had a strange XMail behaviour the last couple of days.
> Server was (I've upgraded it, please read on) a slackware 12.2
> box with XMail v1.23.
>
> People for this specific box started complaining that they send
mail
> from their MUAs but never receive anything or their intended
> receipients.

1.26/1.27pre swapping over a few times but now 1.27pre10.

spamassassin rules not updated?

check spam folders etc

That's only problem I've heard of, year > 2009,  but not had
any adverse impact for me as I have high threshold but I did
check and noted all spam scores were higher until sa rules
were updated.

> That was the absolute truth. I've had a quick hunt on the logs and
> found nothing. BTW, I have to XMail logs to look at. This is really
> weird also.

Other possibility is you lost internet connection for a while
and mails are still queued to go out or have been frozen.

Do a scan of your spool file or use ctrclnt to check

Frozen messages I have and checked are delivery failures
and running frozsubmit sometimes clears some/all or does
nothing if mails are misaddressed.

> Then, without knowing what else to do since this was a live
> system that mis-behaved, I stopped XMail process and started
> a quick upgrade from v1.23 to v1.26.
>
> After that everything worked like before.
> However, I find this most suspicious.
>
> Would anyone have any idea what I should check ?
> Maybe the executable got corrupted or changed in any way ?

On NetBSD there is a security report between file changes
and I also have a copy of each MailRoot/bin that I have
updated and recently run md5 against to check nothing
changed.

> Also, how would someone configure XMail so to receive logs from it
> (XMail) somewhere on the hard drive ?

Look at the docs that give the commandline options which
have those for debugging listed. I have masses of logs in
/var/MailRoot/logs/ and find them very useful at times.

I think Davide prefers the xmail options all to be in commandline
whilst I'd prefer an xmail.conf but it's not that important an
issue for me. My commandline options are set in /etc/rc.d/xmail
but on linux I've no idea.