Duncan Morison wrote:

joypad works fine for everything else
xmms and the gxmame GUI for example but completely ignored by xmame, here's
some more info:

in the controllers preferences there are two options that allow me to point
to /dev/js0 :
i386 or new i386 1.xx

You maybe already check that before but did you specifie /dev/js0 or /dev/js, for xmame, this is the second one that must be used because xmame will iterate through /dev/js0;/dev/js1,/dev/js2... since you are using GXMame, you are maybe confused by the fact that in the startup option, you need to specifie /dev/js0.

when I start gxmame with joystick support I get:
Message: Joystick THRUSTMASTER FireStorm Dual Power 2 found

so what do you reckon:
a) my system?

no, since GXMame and xmms can use your joystick, xmame should be able to use it with the new "i386 1.xx driver"

b) gxmame passing bad values to xmame

if you are using GXMame 0.28, gxmame have some problems fixed in the version 30pre1

c) xmame

seem that xmame is compiled with good options for the joy since it try to detect it without complaining the the joydevice number is not a known device type and should not be the problem.

d) mybad on configuring joystick ?

same than for a)

try to run
xmame.xgl -joytype 4 -joydevname /dev/js
or
xmame.xgl -joytype 1 -joydevname /dev/js

if the first one works, in GXMame be sure to use "new i386 1.xx" hoystick type and "/dev/js" as joystick name
if the second one works, in GXMame be sure to use "i386 style" hoystick type and "/dev/js" as joystick name

--
Shad
http://gxmame.sourceforge.net