> Hi Guys,
>

> I have a PIII 800 which seems like a suitable donor. I basically need it
> [ ... ]

CPU sounds fine.

> Don't really care if XWindows is there or not, i'm happy enough in a

I'd add X to the machine, and use the xmame (with the xv method) to get
full-screen.

> Will need to operate in full screen, hopefully booting to a menu such as
> dmame.

I'm starting X from rc.local and use no window manager for my "arcade"
user. The first entry in .xinitrc is my frontend, so I can just switch the
box on, got fetch a coke, and start playing ;-)

> Oh, i have install media for Mandrake 8, 9, 9.2 or 10.

I've got Gentoo on my linux box, but the distribution will not make a huge
difference. You just need any old Linux, and put a self-compiled xmame on
it.

> Advice hugely appreciated as this is the first time i've attempted a linux
> based cab setup.

Please have a look at http://www.gurkensalat.com/arcade/ for the details
of my setup and feel free to steal anything that might help you ;-)

Regards,
Hakan

--
Simpler is better. But try telling that to any young fool who hasn't
even fought in the clone wars...