On 7 Mar 2018, at 11:03, Hussein Shafie wrote:

On 03/06/2018 07:54 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
According to the DITA 1.3 specification, the <lines> element represents “text where line breaks are significant but white space is not”. [1]

However, XMLmind XML Editor (XXE) renders white space as significant.
And when ditac (dita converter) converts <lines> to HTML, the result is
that white space, again, is treated as significant.

It could very well be that the interpretation of ditac and XXE makes
more sense for the use cases that <lines> are meant for,

Indeed.

For instance, one of the usecases - or perhaps the usecase - of <lines> is poetry (I have also used it for that myself). However, in poetry, white-space often /is/ significant.

But then I tested how ditac and XXE actually behaved ... And it makes /more/ sense to say ”listings” if white space /is/ significant in <lines>.

It would be interesting to know how the DITA Open Toolkit behaves in this regard ... (But with what I know today, I think the DITA working group should rethink <lines> ... along the above lines.)

but I would
nevertheless bring this to your attention and ask for a clarification.

[1]
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/errata01/os/complete/part3-all-inclusive/langRef/base/lines.html#lines

Sorry but we don't know how to implement “text where line breaks are significant but white space is not”. So this is really a limitation of XMLmind XML Editor (XXE) and XMLmind DITA Converter (ditac).

The editor of XXE treats white space as significant even HTML <p> paragraphs - even if they are still insignificant in the output. Thus, the fact that XXE has this limitation, does not really count as an argument against.

This leaves ditac as the only potentially ”real” issue. However, at least for ditac’s HTML output, it would be very simple to comply with the DITA spec:

    pre {white-space: pre-line}
    /* https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/white-space */
--
Leif Halvard Silli