On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:08:32 +0100
Michele Spelta <aspelt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> forgot to add the list

> > Hi Erik,
> >   the  link was exactly that.

Removed.

> > I tried the stuff included into the
> > source tree and it works but not as I would expect.
> > to be more precise what I did was essentially sanitizing some of my
> > files which means they got moved and their ID3 tags changed a little,
> > now the updater found all of the new files as expected and this is
> > good, it also did not figured out they were moved so I lost the
> > statistics... (not good but expected and acceptable since it is not
> > supposed to read into my mind).

Seeing the lack of the word "move" in medialib-updater/main.c [1], it
seems that moves will indeed be delete+add. It seems that the used
filesystem monitoring API does have a hook to detect moves [2], but
that is not being used (nor is it guaranteed to work for all
'backends').

Could you file a feature request at https://bugs.xmms2.org/, or
(better) send a patch?

[1]
https://git.xmms2.org/xmms2/xmms2-devel/tree/src/clients/medialib-updater/main.c
[2] https://developer.gnome.org/gio//2.42/GFile.html#GFileMonitorFlags

< big negative point is that it does not
> > remove the no longer existing old entries only thing I notice is that
> > the new entries have a status equals to 1 while the old ones have it
> > set to 3.
> > now I did not managed to figure out what these numbers means, can you
> > or anyone point me to were this is described?

As nano noted, the numbers are enum entries [3], with 1 meaning "OK"
and 3 meaning "NOT_AVAILABLE".

[3] https://git.xmms2.org/xmms2/xmms2-devel/tree/src/ipc.xml#n81

> > anyway if the number three means broken then I can easily search for
> > them and remove them

Yup, 3 means not available, so that is the way to go.

> > but still I would expect the updater is able to
> > do this by its own. Do I miss some special setting to enable this?

The code [4] seems to remove entries when they are deleted from the
file system. Was medialib-updater running when the files were
deleted/moved?

[4]
https://git.xmms2.org/xmms2/xmms2-devel/tree/src/clients/medialib-updater/main.c#n586

> > another thing that surprised me is that I did not get any indication
> > of changed or added entries in the medialib using the
> > broadcast_medialib_entry_added and broadcast_medialib_entry_changed in
> > my python code running in parallel to the updater, is that normal? and
> > in case it is how can I know if something is happening?

That shouldn't be normal, and it works for me (using a devel xmms2):

$ ./watcher.py
Entry 236 changed.
Entry 236 changed.
Entry 702 changed.
Entry 702 changed.
Entry 1069 added.
Entry 1069 changed.

I did notice that the ordering of the statements having to do with
xmms/connector/ml in the attachment seem a bit sensitive. I don't know
enough about the python bindings to know why straight away.

Would you mind filing a bug report with your program? We should at
least print a warning when the ordering seems off.