On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Donald Tournier wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I need to run various apps which require different bit depths. In
> particular, one application only runs at 8 or 24 bpp, and the other only
> runs on an 8 plane pseudocolor visual. I am happy setting the display at
> 24 bpp, but setting it to 8bpp just looks horrible. Why is not possible
> for XFree86 to make a pseudocolor visual available?

    It does when the hardware supports simultaneous depths 8 and 24.
When it doesn't, emulating depth 8 in depth 24 is complicated to
do it correctly.  Correctly, meaning it must pass the X11 compliance
tests.  A kludge that doesn't pass isn't really an option for the
XFree86 project.

> I am running SuSE 7.2 and XFree86-4.0.3 with the latest NVidia drivers.
> Maybe switching to XFree86-3.3.6 would solve the problem?

  3.x didn't support multiple depths even if the hardware supported
it.

                        MArk.