Alan Hourihane wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 12:33:16PM -0800, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

> > > I must say I've been noticing a time shift in my PC's clock as well. It
> > > didn't bother me much, as the difference is not that big, over quite a
> > > long period of time (in my case, anyway). Therefore, I haven't sought to
> > > find the cause.
> > > My hardware differs a lot from yours, so if the X server is causing time
> > > loss, I wouldn't blame it on any of the drivers.
> > >
> > > I'm curious as to what others think and/or experience...
> >
> >    I recall a typo in the 3Dlabs driver a long time ago that was
> > doing outb to a register that messed with the clock.  I don't
> > remember which.  You might look for portIO happening on
> > non vga registers (ie, something outside of the 0x3cX range).
> >
> That was in the 3.3.x days - a LONG time ago.
>
> Alan.

This is the first time I've heard anything like this recently.  How do
you notice the clock shift?  (Meaning, how do I try and repeat your
problem.)  I have a AMD based system here, running with a ViRGE DX.
It's been up for a couple days, and the clock is currently ahead of the
time standard I set it from by a couple minutes.

What are you using to read and display time?  Are both the hardware and
soft clocks affected?  I assume it doesn't lose the 2 seconds/min when X
is not running?

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you comment out "option 'dpms'"
in your monitor section?

--
Kevin