> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Christopher W. Allermann wrote:
>
> > I'm stuck with a little bit of a problem here and have been unable to find a
> > suitable solution.
>
>    You might have to hack the server to do this.  There are already
> config file options to prevent Ctrl-Alt-backspace and Ctrl-Alt-+/-,
> but there isn't one for Ctrl-Alt-F#.  Maybe there was a reason for
> that, I don't remember.  This isn't the first time somebody wanted
> to do this.

Actually, someone asked me about this recently, and I was surprised to
discover that it didn't exist too.  It seems to me that it should be a
standard option, as  there's (at least) two cases where it would be both valid
and useful:

i)      Your hardware won't switch cleanly back to text mode from X[1]

ii)     You're setting up a kiosk-mode machine

As you say, this also isn't the first time that somebody wanted this, so
there's obviously a grass-roots requirement for it :)

I'm currently working on a patch for this, and I'd appreciate some advice; I
believe that such an option (lets call it 'DontSwitch') should disable VT
switching for all OSes that support that functionality (including the ones
that use the VTSysreq method of doing it).

As there's already a runtime switch to control this (which already DTRT when
DRI has is in fullscreen mode), I also think the neatest way to add this
functionality would be to add 'VTSwitchEnable' to the tests for the rest of
the OSes that support VT switching, and set if from the config file, if the
option is present.

Any comments?

Cheers,

AS

[1] Some Dell laptop users are stuck with this apparently, a switch back to
text mode hoses you totally. Ick.