On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Marc Aurele La France wrote:

> > > I just want to point out that GATOS code already supports this.
> > > As for 8bbp - I will insert the code to disable hardware Xv support in
> > > this case and print a meaningful message.
>
> > Just my 2 cents' worth.  I don't think this is a good idea.  It's not
> > necessary to do so in the Mach64 and R128 cases.
>
> > > As for Radeon colorkeying the reason we use RGB values is because Radeon
> > > no longer supports keying on the value of graphics pixel, rather it allows
> > > you to specify  ranges of alpha and R, G, B so all graphics pixels that
> > > fall within them are replaced by video. The comparison is done _after_
> > > Radeon has converted framebuffer value into internal 32bpp format.
>
> > Oh?  An alpha channel for 8bpp?  If so, where does it come from?  The LUT
> > is only 3 * 768 long.  Perhaps a specific alpha value can be used as the
> > key.
>
> Ooops.  Synapse cross.  I meant 3 * 256.

Ehh.. What is LUT ? The way I read in the docs is that there are 32 bit
range registers which have 8 bits for Alpha, R, G and B. And if you set
Alpha to a constant value (i.e. bound it with, say, 8 both from above and
below) nothing will display. The documentation says that in this case
the lower range for alpha should be set to 0 and the upper range to 0xff -
which makes sense. So it is compared with something in the hardware - but
with what we don't really know. (And it is possible that for 8bpp
framebuffer the alpha of the result is always zero..)

                                  Vladimir Dergachev