What I would suggest is that you grab xmon from:

 ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/devel_tools/xmon.1.5.6.tar.gz

(Or, I think Debian might have a package of it.)

And run the app under it:

 xhost +         [ I've generally had to do this, standard cautions apply ]
 xmonui | xmond > /tmp/log
 DISPLAY=localhost:1 evolution

Then up the detail level using the buttons at the top and reproduce
the crash... that should give a log of the last few requests that your
app made of the X server.

Unless you are using a UTF-8 locale, I doubt it has anything specifically
to do with UTF-8... those warning messages are internal to evolution.

Regards,
                                        Owen