I have narrowed a bit the bug:

here is a small testcase which very often freezes, but only when in
Xinerama mode and when using a truetype font:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <X11/Xlib.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
        int i;
        GC gc;
        XGCValues gcv;
        Display *dpy = XOpenDisplay(NULL);
        int blackColor = BlackPixel(dpy, DefaultScreen(dpy));
        int whiteColor = WhitePixel(dpy, DefaultScreen(dpy));
        Window w = XCreateSimpleWindow(dpy, DefaultRootWindow(dpy), 0, 0, 200, 500, 0,
blackColor, blackColor);
        XSelectInput(dpy, w, StructureNotifyMask);
        XMapWindow(dpy, w);
        gcv.font = XLoadFont(dpy,
"-misc-yikatu-medium-r-normal-*-*-280-*-*-p-*-iso10646-1");
        gc = XCreateGC(dpy, w, GCFont, &gcv);
        XSetForeground(dpy, gc, whiteColor);
        for(;;)
        {
                XEvent e;
                XNextEvent(dpy, &e);
                if (e.type == MapNotify)
                        break;
        }
        for(i = 0; i < 50; i++)
                XDrawString(dpy, w, gc, i, i * 10, " Y a r g l a a !", 16);
        XSync(dpy, False);
        sleep(1);

        return 0;
}

I dunno how to always synchronize operations, so I did an XSync() at the
end and it freezes there. You can retrieve the font here:
ftp://awak.dyndns.org/yikatu.ttf (it's 26k big)

I'm using X4.1.0 from debian/sid

What can I do more to help debug this (very annoying) problem ?

        Xav