JHC> I'd grab one of the modeline generating scripts and try out some.
JHC> If your tv supports 1080p (many do for the benefit of dvd
JHC> players, &c),

Doug> Regarding 1080p for dvd, I think you are mistaken.  My (only
Doug> moderately educated) understanding was that the 'good' dvd
Doug> players put out 480p instead of 480i(ntsc).  I also don't think
Doug> that there is any tv out there that does 1080p.

I knew when I sent that that I ought to have worded it better....

Anyway, I wasn't thinging so much of current DVD players -- although
the digital tape players may be capable of it -- but rather of the
various proposals for furture players.  I'm sure I've seen 1080p at 24
fps at least proposed for highend films.

Of more use I've jsut remembered that all of the details of the HDTV
standards are published and I beleive available for public download at
SMPTE's web site.  Those should contain sufficient details of the
timing, including blank intervals et al, to produce accurate xfree
mode lines.

You'll most likely need to do a bit of math to convert from timings in
µs to timings in pixels, but the published details should be enough.

(I should have thought of this before, esp as I have been a member....)
[SIGH]

-JimC