-------Original Message-------

Date: June 02, 2002 07:05:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Xpert]modelines for hdtv?

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Doug McClendon wrote:

> Regarding 1080p for dvd, I think you are mistaken. My (only moderately
> educated) understanding was that the 'good' dvd players put out 480p
> instead of 480i(ntsc). I also don't think that there is any tv out
> there that does 1080p. The two hdtv standards are 1080i and 720p to my
> knowlege. The TV I'm interested in does 1080i, which I assume means
> that it can also do 540p. Ideally I'm looking for a good 640x480@60
> modeline, and a 1920x540@60 modeline. 1920x1080i would be interesting
> to try, but since this is about using the tv as a big monitor, I'm
> really not interested in interlacing.
>
> Out of curiosity- Does anybody have any advice regarding fonts or any
> other tricks when you have severely non square pixels (1920x540)? It
> seems like it would be a nice feature of the X server to handle such
> issues transparently.

I'd say you do want interlacing.
Use 1920x1080i at 120 fields/sec = 60 frames/sec.
At 120 fields/sec, flicker wont be a problem, the pixels will be squarish,
and the interlacing will give you analog hardware anti-aliasing
(in the monitor, not the card!).
Sorry, I don't have a suitable modeline to suggest - my modeline tools
are for VESA GTF, which may not apply to HDTV, and none of them give a
correct XFree86 interlaced modeline (X seems to want the vertical
timings doubled, but I haven't worked out exactly what it wants).

You can use the DisplaySize option to tell the X server what size the
screen is. It will then tell any app that asks the horizontal and
vertical pixel pitches (dpi), but this confuses sufficiently many apps
that by default we don't set this from the DDC info.
The RENDER font system could probably cope, but most apps don't get
anything sensible out of the old font renderer.

> I doubt there is anything now, but how far are we
> from an X server based on 3D hardware, i.e. a nice 5Kx5K non visible
> desktop that gets rendered with a bilinear filter to whatever resolution
> the desktop actually is? That would
> take care of generic anti-aliasing (fonts and more) quite nicely no?
> Zoomable windows...

OpenGL based 3D window / desktop managers have been around for
several years. I don't have any names, but they do what you want,
plus allow windows to exist at an angle to the screen
(tilt it away, so that you can still get an overview of what is going
on, but take up very little width or height...).

5Kx5K ? I believe that they allow the windows to exist in a 3D volume
with floating point coordinates (might even get around the limit (16bits?
on coordinates on an X screen).

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna