>What if you use only some of those flags?
It doesn't work, I've tried the following flags without success:
-O2 -march=i686 -funroll-loops -pipe
-O2 -march=i686 -pipe
-O2 -pipe

The *only* way to make it work is with "-pipe" only. Binaries and libraries
are *not* striped at all.

>How do you set them?
I use the following definitions inside /config/cf/host.def file to build it:
#define BootstrapCFlags                 -pipe
#define DefaultGcc2i386Opt              -pipe
#define DefaultGcc2AxpOpt               -pipe -Wa

My GCC compiler is 3.1 and not 2.x.