Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Josh Fryman wrote:

ok. this aside. can someone explain to me why a 24- or 32-bpp X
can't allow apps that demand 8-bit PC to run, and just provide them with an 'emulation' wrapper? i'd _really_ like to get rid of the vnc go-between for a wide variety of reasons. it seems like an
obvious thing, but i can't figure out how to make it work.

8 bit on 24/32bit support hasn't been written yet.
8bit on X has an extra feature which made it difficult to produce a good
solution on some hardware, but we now think we have a good solution for
24bit cards which currently support "DirectColor" visuals (most recent and current hardware).

I've started looking at implementing this, but can;t promise when
it will be ready; I'm a volounteer, and work and life take priority.
Josh,

In the mean time, you could look at the 8 over 24 overlay support that's available in some drivers like the g400...there might be others.

--
/\
Jens Owen / \/\ _